When you are talking with someone, you may sometimes consciously try to create a favorable impression on the listener. This is more likely to happen when you are speaking with the person for the first time, or if you have some kind of interest in the person. It becomes highly important to you to come across as a good person at such times. Here are some tips that might help you to achieve that.
Becoming a better listener
- When in conversation, make a conscious attempt to not just say what you want but also to listen to what the other person is saying. Not just that, you also have to make sure that you pay attention, ask relevant questions, and put in the right kind of expressions. You need to make the other person feel important, and it does not cost you anything. Making people feel important is a good way of impressing them.
- When you are speaking of your positive points, you should never do so openly. Do not be too elaborate about your achievements. Say them, but say them in a matter of fact way. Do not make a big deal out of them.
- When they are speaking about a positive trait of listener, do not completely ignore what they say. Hear it out and then decide on its merit how you would want to react. Does it sound like bragging? If it does, you can probably ignore it completely. Is it something that deserves to be praised? If yes, then go ahead and give a small compliment, but do not fuss about it.
- It is a good idea sometimes to speak about your shortcomings as well as listener. It makes you seem more human and the other person may appreciate you for being a frank and upfront person. There is also the fact that they feel they are not alone; there are other people with limitations as well. However, be sure not to go overboard here. If you give the impression that you have many failings, then people are bound to get a very low impression of you.
- It is also important listener to have the right stance when you are listening. Try to look at the other person in the eye as often as you can, because that gives the impression that you are paying attention to them. Do not do things with your fingers or hair that makes you seem distracted. Give the right reactions when needed. Everyone likes an attentive audience.
Keep these things in mind when trying to create a favorable impression on someone who is listening to you. Implement them in your next conversation and see how they can help you in impressing them.